About Yeish Kemach

My photo
Food is a powerful force. Beyond daily nourishment, it is a means for communal engagement, cultural celebration and creative expression. Jewish tradition teaches: Eem eyn kemach, eyn Torah. Eem eyn Torah, eyn kemach. * If there is no flour (sustenance) there is no Torah. If there is no Torah, there is no flour. (Pirkei Avot 3:21) Yeish kemach is translated as "There IS sustenance!" This food blog helps add this sustenance to your life. It is primarily designed around Jewish holidays, and is an interactive blend of Torah and Kemach. Posts will most often focus on a particular recipe or menu, including an explanation for how food brings Jewish tradition to life. Posts also allow for communal teaching and learning through the ending she'elah (question), which you are invited to answer. B'tei'avone!

Labels

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Roasted Asparagus Leek Soup: Release Yourself & Enjoy

Are you a creature of habit, craving the consistency of "the known."  Routines can bring comfort and security, especially amidst the curve balls hurled at us which are beyond our control.  Routines can bring great benefits.  Often they allow for great depth.  When we work on a long-term project - professionally or recreationally - we can move at a healthy pace, build on our successes, learn to conquer the hurdles, network with others and more.  At the same time, we risk stagnation.  We may become tired, bored, skeptical, and uninspired.  Taking time off is key to our ability to maintain our drive.  Time off provides the opportunity to recharge our batteries, reflect, and appreciate what we have (as opposed to what we pursue).  Jewish belief reflect this lesson in the gift of our weekly Shabbat, and featured strongly in the idea of a "shmita" (sabbatical year) in Parshat Behar.

At the start of the parsha we read:

דַּבֵּר אֶל בְּנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל וְאָמַרְתָּ אֲלֵהֶם כִּי תָבֹאוּ אֶל הָאָרֶץ אֲשֶׁר אֲנִי נֹתֵן לָכֶם וְשָׁבְתָה הָאָרֶץ שַׁבָּת לַי־הֹוָ־ה:
Speak to the children of Israel and you shall say to them: When you come to the land that I am giving you, the land shall rest a Sabbath to the Lord. (Behar, 25:2)

Initially the commandment seems to indicate that the purpose of this rest is for the land - "sheevta ha'aretz Shabbat" (the land will rest a Shabbat).  By allowing the land to rest, literally, we give it an opportunity to grow more fertile.  Rashi, however, places the emphasis of this commandment on the final words - "Shabbat li-hashem" (Shabbat to the Lord).  The rest first and foremost for God, more so than for the land, as it is God who tends to the land.

This alone is a nice idea, but distinguished further by God's declaration that the enjoyment of produce yielded during the sabbatical year stretch far beyond the owner to anyone who lives or works for him.  It is all up for grabs during this year off.  During the sabbatical year we are reminded of our responsibility to ensure that all people can benefit from what the world has to offer.   

The Hebrew word for this concept - "shmita" - is often translated into English as "sabbatical year."  But this translation fails to capture the meaning reflected in the literal translation - "release."  In gifting the Israelites with shmita, God gave them the opportunity to step back from their work.  God is released from agricultural responsibilities, the land can release its produce in a natural course, land owners are released from their managerial responsibilities, and all people are released from the lines that typically divide.  Shmita is about giving up control and taking a step back to acknowlege forces bigger, or simply "other," than you.  Herein lies a golden opportunity.  To release yourself from work, routine, and hierarchy is an opportunity to do more than take a break.  Today, shmita teaches, that all of our hard work must not be solely for the sake of ourselves.  We need to take a break, relax, keep perspective, and extend ourselves to others.

My Arch Nemesis Turns BF (Best Friend)

Growing up they seemed to taunt me endlessly.  They stood, tall, strong, and relentlessly firm.  I was a meek kid who hardly stood a chance during our face-offs.  When they showed up at meal time my mood - and stomach - flipped.  I pleaded endlessly with my parents for permission to turn and run the other way.  My cries were met with deaf ears.  Cunningly I tried every trick in the book - feigning illness, negotiating away privileges, and attempting to turn our family dog on them.  These attempts were hopeless as eventually I was forced to "try" and make it work.  When I reached my teen years my parents softened a bit and allowed me to confront or flee.  A no-brainer, I fled ... for a solid 17 years!  Such was my history with ... asparagus!

Then, a few years ago I decided to give these stalks of terror another chance.  I had recently started a culinary affair with roasted vegetables - warm, smokey, and full of flavor.  I decided to toss a few asparagus stalks into the mix one day ... and never looked back.  WOW!  What had I been missing?

Roasted asparagus are chock full of delicious flavor (not to mention vitamins and other good nutrients).  When properly roasted at 425 degrees with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, garlic, and an herb (ex: basil, rosemary), and coated in a thin layer of olive oil spray, they are a feast.  After a long battle against them, I finally allowed myself to embrace their great taste.  It is said that a person's taste buds change every seven years.  Was this turn towards asparagus an example?  If so, had I been sabotaging myself for over 20 years (I figure I was about five years old when I first declared war on asparagus, and therefore could have made peace by the age of 12).  Which was my shmita?  Was it my sabbatical-turned-exile away from them?  Or, was it my release back towards them when I let myself break routine and simply enjoy the fruits of the field?  Either way, this recipe seems appropriate for Parshat Behar.

Roasted Asparagus Leek Soup

If you've explored my blog you know of my love affair with soups.  The possibilities are endless, and the health benefits equally infinite (depending on preparation).  Having tackled soup recipes featuring most staple vegetables, it eventually dawned on me that I had yet to find one to feature my new friend, asparagus.  I scanned through a few recipes, but couldn't quite find one to be compelling.  Recently a friend and colleague told me she had a great recipe for Asparagus Leek Soup.  I asked her to send it to me, but it never came and eventually I decided to create my own.

There are two secrets to this recipe: 1) roasting the asparagus, as well as the leeks as I soon discovered the second time around 2) the use of smoked salt, for those who have it in their spice cabinet.  If you don't - I highly recommend purchasing a jar.  The smokey flavor adds great depth of flavor, and these days Trader Joe's and other markets carry them in self-contained grinders.  Beyond that, this soup could not be simpler to make.  Enjoy!




Roasted Asparagus Leek Soup

Serves: 6 - 8
 
Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or olive oil spray
2 leeks, sliced open vertically and washed thoroughly
2 bunches asparagus, bottom ends trimmed 
3 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. smoked salt 
Ground pepper 
1 onion, chopped 
16 oz. fresh spinach, washed and chopped 
1 tsp. smoked or sea salt 
8 cups low sodium vegetable stock
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper


Instructions*

  1. Preheat oven to 425° F. 
  2. Lay the leeks on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil.  Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. garlic, some of the smoked salt and pepper.  Spray with olive oil and roast for 15 minutes.  Remove pan from the oven and add asparagus.  Cover with remaining garlic, smoked salt, and pepper.  Spray with olive oil and return to oven for 15 – 20 minutes.  Remove, let cool and then chop into large pieces.
  3. In the meantime, heat a soup pot with olive oil spray or olive oil.  Add chopped onion and sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes.  Add spinach leaves and sauté an additional 5 minutes.
  4. Add the asparagus, leeks, stock, and additional seasoning.  Bring to a boil.  Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, and then puree with an immersion blender.

*Note: I think soups are best made a day or two in advance to give the flavor an opportunities to combine and turn from good to delicious.









No comments:

Post a Comment